So, my mind is full from another great weekend of being challenged. Our little Bible study group met early Sat. morning at my friend Jenny's house. It is weird because we are all reading different places in the Bible, yet I have been in awe of how much stuff ties together. This time, it was clouds. Jenny had actually researched clouds and found that God is IN the clouds much of the time in the Bible and the word "clouds" is mentioned 153 times in the Bible. Ellen mentioned that at Bible study that week, they talked about an angel that was wrapped in a cloud. I have been reading in Exodus in the part where God descended on Mt. Sinai and it was huge scary thing. The people had to do all kinds of ceremonial things just to be present and see the mountain. They weren't even allowed to come near it. God set boundaries around his holiness because he knew they would die. Only Moses was allowed near. But, the thing that really stood out to me was this verse. "The people remained at a distance, while Moses approached the thick darkness where God was." Exodus 20:21 "the thick darkness" In all of the verses that God is in the clouds and now there is a darkness that is almost tangible - that is where God is. It made me think, sometimes in the darkest times it feel like God is the furthest away. I am getting a new picture that in the darkness and clouds of my life - maybe that is when he is actually the closest. I always relate darkness to evil, sin, scary stuff. I relate God to light - which he is. But Satan is also an angel of light. I guess that's where it really comes in knowing God and having a relationship with him is how I'm going to discern and be able to see God in the darkness and walk forward not being afraid. I even think of decisions I have to make, where no one can tell me what to do, that is like darkness. I have to be able to hear his voice and trust He is with me.
I have more that I learned at church yesterday, but that will have to wait for another post. Gotta get ready for work!
one on one time - Gabey
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment